How to Detect a Leak
Homes With an Inside Meter
- If you suspect a water leak, turn off all the faucets in the house. Check your water meter to see if the flow detector (a small black triangle, small red dial or a (+) sign on a digital meter) is moving.
- If the flow detector moves, then stops, then moves again, it is a good indication that your toilet valve is leaking or that there may be a very small leak.
- If the flow detector moves slowly, it is a good indication that you have a small leak.
- If the flow detector moves rapidly, it is a good indication that you have a break in your line - check for soggy areas in your yard or under your house.
Homes With an Outside MeterIf you have a concern, call the City of Cumberland Water Distribution Department at 301-759-6625 to check your meter. Process to check your water meter:
- The best place to detect a leak is at the water meter outside. Call the City of Cumberland Water Distribution Department at 301-759-6625 to request your meter be checked for any indication of leaks.
- While no water is being used, the Water Utility technician will observe the meter's leak indicator or dial hand and note its movement over the span of 15 minutes, if the leak indicator or dial hand has not moved, there is no leak.
- If a leak indicated, but the location of the leak is not evident, or you are unable to fix it yourself, call a professional, such as a plumber, that specializes in leak detection and repair.
Water Loss7.48 Gallons = 1 Cubic Foot
- Leaking Toilet at 1/2 GPM = 21,600 Gallons/Month
- Drip Irrigation at 1 GPM = 43,200 Gallons/Month
- Watering Garden for 2 Hours at 5 GPM = 18,000 Gallons/Month
- Watering Garden for 2 Hours at 10 GPM = 36,000 Gallons/Month
- Unattended Water Hose 1 Night at 10 GPM = 5,400 Gallons/Month
- Broken Services Line:
- 1 Night at 15 GPM = 8,100 Gallons
- 1 Day at 15 GPM = 21,600 Gallons
- 1 Week at 15 GPM = 151,200 Gallons
- 1 Month at 15 GPM = 648,000 Gallons
- 1 Bath = 42 Gallons
- 1 Shower = 17 Gallons
- Wash 1 Load of Clothes = 45 Gallons
- Flush Toilet = 3 Gallons