Open Election for two (2) Council Seats
Primary Election - April 26, 2016
General Election - November 8, 2016
FILING DEADLINE: February 3, 2016
IN ACCORDANCE WITH CITY CHARTER SECTION 11 AND CITY CODE SECTION 19 PUBLIC ETHICS:
A Certificate of Candidacy designating the individual as a candidate to appear on the Primary ballot for elected office must be filed in person at the City Clerk’s office at City Hall.
A Financial Disclosure Form for local candidates is also required and must be submitted in person at the time of filing the Certificate of Candidacy. The disclosure form covers the previous calendar year, not the current year in which the candidates files. Subsequent filings may be required to bring the candidate current through the date of the election. Financial Disclosure Forms shall be considered a matter of public record and shall be made available under the City’s Public Information Policy.
To file as a candidate, please contact the City Clerk's office at City Hall or phone 301-759-6447.
A filing fee is required at the time of submission:
Filing fee for Mayor …………. $ 40.00
Filing fee for Council …….….. $ 25.00
*Checks may be made out to the “Mayor and City Council of Cumberland.”
IN ACCORDANCE WITH CITY CHARTER SECTION 12
- The term of the two newly elected Council seats will be four (4) years, beginning January 2, 2017.
- A candidate for Council must be:
1. Twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of his/her election
2. A citizen of the United States at the time of his/her election
3. A resident of the City of Cumberland for one (1) year immediately preceding his/her election
- Compensation for the position of Council is $4,800 annually
CUMBERLAND CITY CHARTER SECTION 11A
The information below is a summary of pertinent information pertaining to campaign contributions. A full copy of this Section of the Code has been included in this packet for your use.
LIMIT OF CONTRIBUTIONS
It is unlawful for any individual, association, unincorporated association, corporation or any other entity to contribute any money or thing of value greater than$500.00 to any candidate in any 4-year election cycle, which amount shall not exceed $250.00 for a period beginning the day following the general election and running until the day after the primary election; and $250.00 from the day after the primary election until the day after the general election.
REPORT OF CONTRIBUTIONS/EXPENDITURES
Each Candidate must file a Report of Contributions and Expenditures with the City Clerk no later than seven (7) days following the primary election, and no later than seven (7) days following the general election. Report forms are included in this packet.
Interim Report due May 3, 2016
Final Report due November 15, 2016
A late filing fee will be assessed for each report or statement of expenditures and contributions not filed
within the prescribed time as follows:
1. $25.00 per day for the first ten (10) days overdue;
2. $10.00 per day for the next twenty (20) days overdue;
3. Misdemeanor shall be charged for failure to file a report within thirty (30) days of a set deadline. An individual found guilty shall be deemed ineligible to hold office for five (5) years.
CUMBERLAND ZONING CODE: SECTION 14.07.02 (e)
Political signs are subject to the following provisions:
1. The signs shall not exceed six (6) square feet in area per sign face in residential zoning district nor thirty-two (32) square feet in non-residential zoning districts: and
2. Placement of signs shall have the consent of the property owner.
State, County and City governments generally prohibit the placement of political signs on public property and right-of-ways. Therefore, unless proper authorization is provided to the Department of Community Development, the City shall assume that candidates DO NOT have individual permission to place such signs on public property or right-of-way and these signs will be removed.
If you should have any questions or need further information regarding Candidacy requirements for City government, please contact the City Clerk’s office at the following:
Marjorie A. Eirich, City Clerk
57 N. Liberty Street
Cumberland, MD 21502
The Allegany County Election Office may be reached at:
Allegany County Office Complex
701 Kelly Road
Cumberland, MD 21502