What if I own an historic building?

If your property falls within the locally zoned historic district, you must submit (in addition to any required building or occupancy permits) a Certificate of Appropriateness Permit application for review by the Historic Preservation Commission. This applies to ALL exterior changes to a structure, including painting, additions, alterations, awnings, entrances and doors, porches, fences, siding, signage, window replacement, demolition and new construction. 

The Historic Preservation Commission meets on the second Wednesday of each month, however, to be added to the agenda for consideration, the deadline for applications to be submitted is one week prior (the first Wednesday of the month). Applications can be submitted online (Citizenserve) or at the Community Development department in City Hall.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a permit?
2. What if I own an historic building?
3. How long does it take to get a permit?
4. How do I find out where my property lines are located?
5. What is the zoning for my property?
6. What are my building setbacks and yard requirements?
7. May I see the plans approved for my neighbors construction project?